Monday, March 1, 2010

Dude, bike camp is awesome.

So its Monday of Kenda p/b Geargrinder bike camp, and its sweet. I don't really know how long I've been in Macon, which is a good sign considering I normally only count down days for two things; 1: when something takes a long time and normally can be described as having a lot of "suck" *cough* superweek *cough*, ahem, excuse me. and 2: days till i actually get to see my girlfriend or family (which is 5 days at this point, so at least i know how much longer i will be in Macon). So, since bike camp is neither a bunch of suck, my girlfriend, or my family, it must be something else... awesome comes to mind. Here's why:

1. The guys that I have met this week so far are awesome. We not only have had a great time but also seem to already be comfortable enough with each other to have a royal rumble in the McDonald's bathroom.... i tell you what, i give the guy in the stall credit for actually coming out of there in the midst of it, if it were me, i would have checked to make sure the door was locked, sat down, and picked up my feet so they wouldn't know i was in there. shows guts, charecter, and an extreme craving for a big mac.

2. We have new bikes, and got them fit, and carbon training wheels, and new kits, and a ton of incredible stuff to go along with the pretty new bikes that makes me happy.

3. (And currently causing my type speech to slur every other letter, this is taking forever to type) Post-ride leg rub-down by Janis. Today, after 6 hours on the bikes, I got my first ever pro-bike massage and it made the last 5 years of working hard TOTALLY WORTH IT. Unbelievable. I am pretty relaxed right now. I blame all grammatical and spelling errors on this, thats right Gaimon.

4. The area we are in has every imaginable fast-food joint on the face of the planet, including Five Guys and Firehouse Subs.... and starbucks *pulls collar while saying ehhhh*

5. The trip to Lifetime Fitness, where if your not careful, you might think your in a resort of some kind. The lockers were all wood and the benches were granite, and i am pretty sure it was the nicest shower i have ever seen. It all almost made this worth it:
That would be the torture device used to measure VO2 levels at threshold and at max effort. The guy said that of the 5 of us that were tested, our average VO2 max was 11 points higher than the average of Amore Vita's last year.... take that! Too bad there isn't prize money for lab tests, because i think we finished 1, 2, 3, 4, 5. not too shabby. (Rob bush smoked us all, 79? I though my 75.5 was good, but that's just ridiculous, now he has no excuses). Oh hi rob! Hey, whats your secret?!

That's a pretty incredible secret. Too bad i just foiled it.

6. We got to go on a 6 hour ride today that included a pretty stiff pace line, that turned into a very stiff pace line, that turned into an all out lead out up a hill for some reason. Clearly the highlight of my week so far was watching everyone go really fast. Funny thing is, you only have the camera out when the ride looks like this:
7. Without getting myself into an endless pit of shout-outs that i just don't have the focus to write correctly, we have great management, great sponsors, and a great group of guys. We have everything we need to win races, so we have confidence. Therefore, if you cannot already tell, we have some serious excitement for the year to come. None of us can wait to get to a race.
One thing that does NOT make my list is the fact that the average plate at olive garden is now $16, which is an obscenity equaled only by kicking puppies. Needless to say, I'm upset and disappointed in the Olive Garden.
We have 5 days left here to really solidify as a team, get all our little "oh poor baby" type requests made fun of and sorted out, destroy our hotel room (which will be tough because the housekeeping crew here is incredible), and try and tear each others legs off. Its going to be, like i said, awesome. With all that said, here's some links to follow all the twitter/facebook/whatever you want for pictures and probably videos from camp:
And remember that I post all my pictures on my flickr account up there on the sidebar (that's the thing on the right side).

2 comments:

  1. Jim,

    Sounds like a good time! Let's catch up soon. Perhaps the next time your in town (if that's soon). Otherwise, give me a call in between leg massages and wrestling sessions.

    J.J.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Unlimited soup, salad and breadsticks STILL the most ridiculous deal in town. $7. Check it.

    ReplyDelete